Thank you for your interest in our Birthing center and homebirth services. We take pride in providing personal care for you and your whole family. Our birthing center is located in Arcadia CA. In-person tours are available by appointment Tues-Thurs. We are proud Medi-Cal providers for birthing center services. We provide homebirth services to our surrounding community.
- Homebirth and Birth Center Option
- Pre-Conception Consultation
- Prenatal Care
- Nutritional Counseling
- Childbirth Education
- Support for Homebirth
- Breastfeeding Support
- Postpartum Care
- Holistic Well-Woman Gynecology
- Referrals to Allied Health Professionals
New Life Midwifery
Chemin Pérez, LM
Los Angeles, California
We offer a birth center option at our freestanding birth center. Our birth center is located in Los Angeles CA within the city of Arcadia. We accept Medi-Cal and most P.P.O. insurance plans. Please contact our office for insurance verification.
The benefits of giving birth in a freestanding birth center are:
- A serene home-like environment where you can give birth with privacy.
- Birth tub for water immersion, which can ease labor pains and make the contractions of labor more tolerable. Your baby can be born in water, gently easing birth transition from womb to world.
- Freedom to walk, eat, and assume any position that helps you cope with your labor.
- Freedom from strict timelines and unnecessary medical interventions (i.e., continuous electronic fetal monitoring, augmentation of labor with Pitocin, etc.) which can lead to complications of labor, including cesarean section.
- No separation between mother and newborn. Baby remains with the mother after the birth. This continuous skin-to-skin contact improves breastfeeding success. The newborn exam will be done at your bed.
- More freedom of choice regarding medical procedures for yourself or your baby. We believe in informed consent and informed refusal. You get to have your birth your way.
Call the midwife today for a consultation.
Most births proceed normally, and you should expect a beautiful experience. At New Life Midwifery, your experience and safety are our utmost concern. If for any reason you must be transferred to the hospital, your midwife will facilitate the transfer, and if you desire, provide you with postpartum care once you are discharged from the hospital.
HYDROTHERAPY AND PAIN RELIEF
Many women feel a water birth allows them to follow their natural birthing instincts. Being in water provides birthing women with privacy and autonomy; while helping them to cope with contractions. Water birth is essentially as simple as it sounds. A woman labours and gives birth while in a tub filled with warm water. At NLM Birth Center we encourage women to take advantage of this experience in our birthing tubs.
MOTHER CENTERED CARE
INDIVIDUALIZED APPROACH TO MEET YOUR NEEDS
Many women feel dissatisfied with their past providers. They report medical providers tell them what to do rather than inform them of their options and rights. Care given is not personal, or informative. At our birth center, you will be guided and empowered throughout your pregnancy. We are designed to serve families. Your children and any or your family members are invited to play a part in your experience. You are the perfect person to make decisions on what is best for you and your new baby.
Families who choose homebirth have a much higher chance of enjoying a natural, physiologic birth, and a much lower chance of experiencing unnecessary medical procedures, with outcomes that are just as safe, compared to healthy mothers and babies birthing in hospital.
Homebirth benefits include:
- Fathers can have a closer and more intimate involvement in labour and birth, which can be difficult in a hospital setting.
Siblings or other family members can be present and involved. In contrast, hospitals may not offer the flexibility that families seek.
Homebirth mothers may want to avoid hospitals because of a previous bad experience, or fear of a bad experience, which may even be brought on by a visit to a hospital or medical professional.
In special circumstances, hospitals may be unable or unwilling to offer gentle or personalized choices, such as a preference to avoid routine monitoring and drugs; accommodating the needs of older or younger mothers who want a natural birth (and tend to be subject to higher intervention rates); families seeking a natural birth after cesarean.
Women who book for a homebirth have an exceptionally low chance of needing a cesarean.
Many homebirth families may have an awareness of the baby’s experience of birth, and a desire to provide the most gentle start possible for the baby
Families may be seeking the personal and intimate support provided though one-to-one care with their chosen midwife, Midwifery care usually begins early in pregnancy and lasts through to several weeks after birth
Staying home is usually a much more attractive option in labour than a cramped car ride to the hospital!
According to a recent US survey, safety is the number one reason that couples give for choosing homebirth.
Who chooses homebirth?
- Women who choose homebirth, according to Australian research, tend to be older and more educated than the general population. In some places, homebirth is a more affordable choice than hospital birth because of the low need for expensive medical procedures. Homebirth midwives also tend to charge a lower fee than obstetricians, despite the much more significant time commitment that they make in prenatal visits, in labour, and through to postpartum care.
- Giving birth at home is a safe choice according to the best international research. Homebirth babies have equally good perinatal mortality — risk of dying around the time of birth — compared to low-risk babies born in the hospital.
- In addition, homebirth mothers and babies have strikingly lower rates of medical procedures. For example, cesarean rates among women planning to give birth at home are typically under 5-10%, compared with 30% or more for hospital- birthing mothers.
- The lack of disturbance associated with giving birth at home allows the full expression of the labouring woman’s “ecstatic hormones”. These four critical hormone systems — oxytocin, beta-endorphins, epinephrine/norepinephrine and prolactin — act to enhance and ease the pleasure and safety for mother and baby in labour and birth and give mothers and newborns an optimal start to breastfeeding and bonding. Successful breastfeeding (which is more likely after homebirth) and mother-infant attachment give irreplaceable and life-long health advantages to both mother and baby.
- (Read more about the “ecstatic hormones” in the free ebook here, and see the full details in Dr Buckley’s Hormonal Physiology of Childbearing report.)